Wednesday, September 19, 2007

First "Real" Match!

OK- I haven't posted in a while, but in my defense I do NOT have internet at my place, and since I get home really late from practice (11pm), I can't bust up in my host family's house and steal theirs. Dommage.

But, I'm working on "finding a solution" to my internet problem ASAP, because otherwise I will go insane.

Anyway, back to my update! The team played its first match last Saturday in our awesome home gym. My license still has not been processed, so I was not qualified to play. But there were six other people who were in the same boat as me, so we sat together in the stands.

I was actually REALLY excited to see my team play a real game, and very nervous. I was sweating through my clothes just sitting there wondering what was going to happen. The team we played against, St. Julien Denize de Gleise, was one of only three teams we lost a game to last season, and they had a lot of big players, so I was a little concerned.

The first ten minutes were disastrous, but after that, things fell into place. We finished the first half up by five, and won the game by eleven! 31-20 was the final score, and everyone was really happy.

It was Laurent's first game ever as a coach, and I think he was pretty stressed through most of it. I looked over and saw him pulling his shirt over his head or banging his head against the wall at times, but as usual, he was really positive when he spoke to everyone, so I think that helped people not freak out. You could tell the first few minutes of the game everyone was really nervous, and it was only after we calmed down that we started to pull ahead.

This game was a fun way to start the season, winning in our home gym by 11 points! Next week we play away at Lyon, who is supposed to be a very strong team (they have a D1 team as well), so we'll see!

Yay winning!!

No comments: