Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Business lunches revived

Since Kathy decided to come back with me in Montpellier, I decided to give myself a "jour de conge" and skip my classes on Monday so we could hang out. I didn't feel exceptionally bad about this because 1) I figured it would be a LONG time before I had friends in town again and 2) It was still the beginning of school so lots of people are making schedule changes and trying to figure out what classes to be in.

Monday morning was pretty leisurely, we just hung around the house and had breakfast, watched some french TV, napped during "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader (French edition)" and then woke-up in time to head down-town for a classic Kathy and Jen business lunch!

I took Kathy down to the Place de la Comedie, which is the main commercial center of downtown Montpellier. It is a very nice place to hang out because there are several streets of restaurants and stores, but no cars. We were both in the mood for a bento box, but after searching several streets, didn't find a Japanese place open. So we settled for a Chinese/Thai place that I had eaten in before that was very good.

I rarely eat out, but the nice thing at lunch is that you can get the "Midi special" which is usually fairly cheap and includes an appetizer, main course, and meal. We both got a glass of wine, some appetizers (including some really good samosas) and I had the shrimp satay. It was good and we enjoyed sitting outside, chatting, and of course eating.

After spending some time at the gare (train station), trying to get Kathy's return ticket, we decided that it was time for desert. So we stopped for a coke and a waffle with chocolate (waffles are desserts in France, by the way). Certainly we won't make French weight if we keep eating crepes and waffles with chocolate, but it was a special occasion, so we enjoyed the indulgence.

The evening was also pretty fun, and like most things that Kathy and I do, revovled around food. I cooked fajitas and we drank some Muscat and watched more french TV. Including a series called "L'hopital" which looked like a combination of every successful American medical drama of all time (Grey's Anatomy, with some ER and a bit of House thrown-in). Although, instead of Dr. McSteamy, it was Dr. McTepid- the French need to work on having hotter TV stars, I mean, I can't really understand what is going on, but at least I could look at someone nice!

Sadly, Kathy had to leave Tuesday morning, but we had an awesome time, and I totally hope that there will be more business lunches in the future!!! I miss the Ho-Ho buffet and bento boxes at the Plum Tree!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hurrrraaay for business lunches! i just went out for a coke and a doner kebab, but its just not as much fun toute seule. when is the next RDV for the North Americans in France?

Jennifer said...

Can I mention that I love that you just used RDV as an abbreviation for rendez-vous. That is fab.

Also, the fantastic quatre need to get together again TDS! (that's, toute-de-suite in case you were wondering!)