Monday, August 27, 2007

Lazy Sunday

Reflecting back on the weekend, if I had been thinking more clearly, I should have taken advantage of the opportunity to travel, or go visit some people in other parts of France. From now on, I will have a game every single weekend and most likely won't get a chance to spend a full weekend away until December!

I guess I was thinking I should rest since I spent most of last week sick, but I got a little bit bored by the time Sunday rolled around and had really wished I'd gotten out of town for a bit!

Ah well, next time.

Sunday started off with a trip to the local farmer's market, which builds up in the middle of the village where I live (Lattes). Actually, the fruits and veggies looked amazing, and there were a lot of interesting foods around, including rotisserie chicken, local honey, homemade jams, ect. This is apparently the place to be every Sunday, and it is nice that it goes on throughout the year.

Once I have my own apartment, I will definitely try to buy a lot of my fruits and veggies from the market. The prices are really good, and the people selling it know how to pick out the good stuff for you.

I have to say, the grapes I tasted were probably the most delicious grapes I've ever had. So flavorful, like nothing I've ever eaten in the US! The peaches and nectarines were also really good, as well as the melons. As a fruit-lover, it is heaven!

The rest of the afternoon passed rather slowly. It was ridiculously hot, but really muggy. Sadly the family had drained their pool on Saturday, so it was hard to find a way to cool off.

Toward the end of the afternoon I got bored enough that I took a walk through town, down to the ports where there were a few cafes and a boulangerie open. I got myself a little "mini-baguette" and coke for a grand total of 1.50euro and sat outside by the water under some shade just taking everything in.

The rest of the town was quite dead when I walked back, and it wasn't until the evening when things picked up again as the town celebrated the last day of their village festival. We were too late to see the bull run through the town (they closed the streets every night and let a few bulls run through the close streets), but there were fireworks, music, and carnival games. Too bad I wasn't very hungry, because there were lots of good looking carnival treats like funnel cakes and crepes with chocolate!

So, even though it was not a very exciting weekend, at least I rested a lot. Hopefully that will make this week's handball practices a little easier!

No comments: