Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Blisters, must be a good sign

After amping up my running over the last few weeks with some more intervals, I was starting to prepare myself for what would be some way more challenging pre-season workouts.

I've been working with my new coach in Lyon (via the internet, since I am still waiting for my visa), to design a new running program to help me keep up with what the team is doing now that they've started their official pre-season.

Before he would give me the program, he had self-administer some fitness tests to see where I was, and what I needed to do. I was actually dreading this, knowing that the endurance runs have always my weak point, but was pleasantly surprised with my results. Guess those interval runs were actually doing me some good.

Today was my first day on the new running program, and while it was definitely intense, I felt pretty good afterward. "Good" as in I wasn't completely dead and didn't vomit.

There was a real sense of accomplishment in pushing myself through a 45-minute running workout that I probably couldn't have done a month ago. I love progress!

Also helping my cause was when one of the other runners on the track stopped me to ask what my 100m time was. I laughed and said I had no idea, I'd only ever run 40m for time (on our national team fitness tests), and I didn't remember the results. He was like "well, I think you are really fast. I'd love to know your time, because you seem really speedy." Even if the guy is totally full of it, it made me feel good.

Even though I didn't have a lot in me at the end of the workout, I still felt strong and fast, and as I've realized in handball, the mental part is important.

I'm going to be really nervous to show up to my first practice with the girls in Lyon- D2 is a huge step forward. I just hope these intense workouts get me up to pace so I can at least be close to their fitness level, since their handball skills will be far superior. We'll see, it is certainly motivation to keep pushing myself!

When I got home tonight and took off my shoes, I realized that both of my feet were covered in blisters, with some nice blood blisters on the bottom of my feet. Since Kathy mentioned that her first week of pre-season in France resulted in everyone on the team having blisters, I knew it was a good sign. If you don't have blisters during pre-season, your not running enough. So, the good news is, it looks like I'm right on track (pun partially intended)!

We'll see how I survive the rest of the week, but I have a positive feeling about things. I have an appointment with the consulate on Wednesday, so keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: